03 January 2009

Life in Kenya

Jambo All (Hi in Swahili)

I cannot believe that two months have gone by already. It seems like so much has happened yet at the same time nothing at all. I’ll try to catch you up on the last few months without making this a novel. I got here a little over two months ago. I lived with the FH Kenya Country Director and his wife for about a month before I moved into my own apartment. (Side note: I am living alone right now and do not like it. Please pray that God provides me with a roommate.) I started right away doing ‘special projects’ for FH Kenya and have been enjoying learning and getting the field experience I so desperately sought. My first project was to help coordinate the 5 NGO consortium as we wrote a proposal for a grant with OFDA (office of foreign disaster assistance). FH Kenya is the lead organization in this consortium and was awarded the grant (praise God) to work on the global food crisis here in Kenya for the next two years. This is huge as we are the lead organization in this grant and the smallest of the 5.

The second project was to link our HIV/AIDS women’s groups in the Kawangware slum with a free trade store in Canada. This free trade store was not only interested in the product that these women offered but also their stories. I was able to do interviews, look at their products, write stories and put it together in a catalogue for the store so that they know what we offer. That was done right before Christmas and if I am able to link these two groups it means sustainable income for these women. The trouble with the market here in Kenya is that it is flooded with crafts and jewelry that all the NGO’s taught and that is why a new market is needed in order for these women to survive with the skills they have. This project will be ongoing but please do pray for God’s favor for these women.

Personally I have loved my time thus far in Kenya. It was hard to not be in California for the holidays with family and friends especially since most of my friends here went back to the States, but overall it is not difficult for me to live here. It’s just life if that makes sense. I’ve had some adventures in the last few months in addition to everyday adventures of transportation, markets, more traffic than LA, etc here in Nairobi. I was able to go white water rafting on the White Nile in Uganda, explore old Masai markets and camped in the Aberdares where I saw some amazing ‘wildlife’. I stumbled upon an elephant in the Aberdares….yes, I know I know what you’re thinking. Only Ruth could ‘stumble upon’ an elephant, get away safely and then go back to see it again. I plan on going to the coast next week to search for the venue for FH Corporate Conference. We will have all the Country Directors in our fields and their spouses in one location and this time it will be taking place in Kenya and I will be heading it up. Thanks to all of you who have wrote I appreciate your love and steadfast support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the update and pictures. I will be praying!!! Mom

Launa said...

Ruth you amazingly crazy and exciting hottie;) Glad to hear you're stumbling upon elephants and what-not. We must always rememeber...what would Matt do?

Anonymous said...

Hi Pinks! Great reading and wonderful pics. Did you take that picture of the elephant?! I just saw a fascinating documentary of African elephants, they are so smart! What a surprise to get your phone call in the EARLY morning LOL! We are praying and look forward to seeing you when you tour the US this year. Love and hugs, A. Joanie