20 October 2008

I'm moving to Nairobi....on Oct 28th!!!!

Hi Friends & Family,

I wanted to update you on the recent events that have come about. I've been praying for a few months now that God would lead and direct me to my next step. While in Nicaragua two weeks ago Greg (President), Peter (CEO) and myself sat down to discuss what that might be. We looked at the fact that my year is this position has passed, my desire still was to get to the field for a time and my passion has always been and will be to work with women who have been marginalized/at risk. We came to a mutually beneficial scenario and have seen the Lords hand in it in such a way that can only be a confirmation. I will be leaving in 8 days for Nairobi, Kenya to live and I'm so excited. So, i guess you all probably have some questions so let me try to give some clarity:

Who: Ruth still working for FH

What: I will be working 60% of my time continuing coordinating for Greg & Peter and the office of the President/ CEO, the other 40% will be working with our HIV/AIDS, women's groups in Nairobi as well as some time allocated to various projects that come up

Where: Nairobi, Kenya

Why: I have always wanted to get some field experience and have waited for the 'OK' from God. This last year and half i know he has been preparing me and has asked me to be patient for His timing not mine.

When: October 28th- I've given a verbal agreement to stay at least until July so i can plan our Leadership Gathering that will be taking place in Kenya (so at the very shortest 9 months)

As i go please pray for:

  • Packing- I am not close to finishing yet and am trying to fit everything into two bags, move out of my brothers, store the rest at my parents
  • Travel prior- I'm headed to Austin on Wednesday morning until Sunday, then will return, have a day to finish up getting ready and then will leave Tuesday for Kenya. So, please pray for safety, for enough sleep/ rest, good time with my boss and his family, work that needs to get done will
  • Safety in traveling- planes, cars, trains,
  • Housing- i will be staying with the Country Director and his wife once i arrive but will start looking for a place right away. Please just pray that God will show me where he wants me to be at
  • Job- that i will be able to balance my two roles, that i would be able to learn quickly everything i need to and will be a blessing to the FH staff there
  • Fun- i am looking forward to the adventure ahead!!
So, there it is! Now starts my new adventure!
Also, real quick I wanted to thank those of you that have been supporting me financially this last year. I really appreciate it and consider it a blessing from God.

5 comments:

Launa said...

Ruth! Mary told me about this and I am SO EXCITED for you! Get it girl!

caryn said...

aww! i am SO happy for you! i really hope that i can visit you while you are there. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruth, God has you on a incredible journey! You truly are his hands and feet! We are so proud of you and will continue praying for you. We are in Kauai,HI till 10-27-08. Keep us posted of your adventures. We love you very much. The O'Neill's

Anonymous said...

Hey Ruth-ie! Am I still the only one who can call you that? I am so proud of you. You are doing so many wonderful things. It is hard keeping up with you. You are a busy girl! I wanted to wish you the best of luck with your move to Nairobi. I will be praying that you arrive safely and do some great work over there. Look forward to your next blog =)
Love you and miss you!
~Heidi T

Anonymous said...

Im thinking about you and ready for an update on Nairobi. How are you settling in? how can i be praying? will you be home for christmas?
I love you so much! The Lord is watching over you every moment, keep pressing into Abba and getting oil!