31 July 2008

Uganda!!

Uganda: August 3-29

It was a year and a half ago when I first went to Uganda. A country plagued by war and oppression where many of the people had been enslaved and forced to fight for the rebel army. Child soldiers were created to fight their war and women were stolen from their homes to fight and become wives of the oppressors.
I have the privilege of returning to work with FH Uganda during the month of August with two of my roommates. We will be working at the
New Life Center in Kitgum (Northern Uganda) and is a place were formally abducted child mothers are residing. This is the same place that I went to the dedication of last time I was there. At the New Life Center some these mothers are educated, receive counseling, learn an income generating activity, and receive physical and spiritual healing. The staff in Kitgum also go out into the neighboring Internally Displaced People Camps (IDP) and implement the same things to other women.

Prayer Requests:

- Safety: In planes, cars, walking, within the New Life Center compound, as we go into internally displaced people camps, and into the communities

-Personal: unity, good communication and understanding with one another, and the field workers with FH, for servants hearts for all the stakeholders, assimilation into a country/culture, good health, & a great time!

-Ministry: that we will be able to minister wholistically to the formerly abducted child mothers and other women/ children we come into direct contact with

-Uganda: LRA & gov’t have been in a two year negotiation for peace; on verge of more political unrest, with the impoverished most at risk

I cant even explain how excited i am about returning to Uganda. Please keep myself, Deborah & Jenn in prayer as well as my boss, Greg, who has graciously allowed me this month off and with whom i will be having very limited contact with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for going to help these children and suffering women! The Lord's angels' will be encircling you.
Much love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Awesome Ruth! I want to go and help in Africa, and you have encouraged me.
Thank you,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruth, you are so amazing!! God will protect you and watch over you. Call me when you get back to ventura. I am praying for you. love, megan

Anonymous said...

Im thinking about you. Im SO glad we had some time to catch up, even if it was just a quick smoothie.. your still one of those friends I can always 'pick right back up where we left off' with and Im grateful for that. Love you and praying for you!!